Yesterday Landon and I had the opportunity to go and listen to
Kim Peek speak. For those of you who don't know, Kim was the inspiration for the movie, "Rain Man." Kim was born with some major neurological abnormalities and at birth the doctor told his parents that Kim should be placed in an institution. His parents disagreed and were astonished when he started reading and
retaining knowledge at a very young age. Kim has major disabilities and cannot shower, dress or do many simple tasks alone. Yet yesterday he was able to tell students what day of the week they were born on, and what day they will turn 65 based upon their birth date. He was able to tell students their zip codes and how to get to their home town no matter the location. He was charming and unbelievably knowledgeable. He has completely memorized the old and new testament and can recall the page numbers and content of thousands of books. He was inspiring and truly made me reconsider what we would typically call "handicapped." I am so glad that I was able to be in the presence of such an
incredible human being. He really touched me with his message.
(P.S. I got to hold his Oscar from the movie, "Rain Man!"
"I might be different to you, but you are different to me too." -Kim Peek
4 comments:
Hey guys! I have checked your blog out a couple of times. You guys look so happy. I am so glad that you are enjoying life to its fullest. Where are you living now? Landon, I want you to know that I truly thank you for being such a wonderful friend to me. You really made high school a little easier for me. Thanks for the comment on my blog I don't think you are a stalker! Love your blog. Keep in touch.
That is so neat. I can't believe you got to listen to him speak. What an amazing story he has. Crazy the things that the mind is capable of. I love you!
Awesome stuff! Glad you got the experience.
Awww, you guys are so nice! Isn't stalking blogs fun? Tell Landon thanks for the compliment, I try real hard to be stylish ;).
Post a Comment