Thursday, September 24, 2009

Cheap Shots

I am finding in nursing school that things which we normally assess as "not normal" are completely normal. For instance, catheters.... not normal, or normal? Bed baths, normal... or not so much? Enemas? My list could go on and on... but rather than disgust you and discourage you from coming back to my blog until I graduate I will elaborate on my favorite of "not normal" tasks.... poking people with a long, sharp object.

Yesterday my clinical group was assigned the flu clinic rotation at TOSH hospital. While it was terrifying and intimidating at some level, the experience was funnier than most. Brand new nurses are awesome, we are scared and clueless, yet trying to act professional while we roll up your sleeve and prepare our syringe.

Take this shot for example... meet Anna (the shotter) and Katherine (the shotee). While Anna did a swell job at inserting the needle, she let the trauma get the best of her and started shaking profusely right after I took this picture. As a result, Katherine's arm (and the vaccine) were flying all over the place and Anna frantically yelled, "What should I do?!" while the group laughed hysterically at the twosome's unusual dilemma.

Or how about this shot? This is me... and that little pregnant villain holding her needle like a dart is Hailey. We were warned in advance against two common, anxious shot giving techniques: shaking and performing morse code on someone's arm with the tip of your needle, or lunging into position... with one foot forward for leverage as your hurl your dart/syringe into the unsuspecting victim's arm. Hailey performed the second:

and I performed the first....

All in all it was a great experience and we each probably terrorized about 50 people. I am loving my clinical group and the experience of school as a whole. I am meeting so many new friends and learning so much. Need a technique performed that is a little "not normal?" Give me a call... I'm a professional. Disclaimer: Whatever may happen to you during said procedure is not my responsibility. It is yours... I clearly can't back up my practice



9 comments:

Carlie said...

I love it! Gosh you crack me right up. Can't wait to do this kinda crap! Love you

Kim said...

Oh that is too darn funny! For sure I will come to you for all my shots, enemas, sponge baths, and catheters. Okay, maybe not the last four...

Greg n Sara said...

Sounds funny but shots never looked so fun. Your a brave soul. Looks like your loving school.

Jared and Sarah said...

Ha ha. I love it! Question. Why did you waste .3 seconds of my life spelling out the word Profesh? I will never get that time back. By the way, you so look the part and I would let you give me a shot.

Jen said...

Giving shots was one of my least favorite parts of school...but then again I didn't have to perfect the art of inserting catheters, or giving enemas either. I'm loving that you're loving nursing school. GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous said...

Che' keep your friggin needles away from me!!



(btw, if your keeping track this is my first comment on your blog, yes your applause is both mandatory and appreciated)

Glad your doing well in school I'm excited for you. Stay in touch :)

Andi and Cade said...

Laughing out loud! Yes I'm too cool to write LOL...

Very entertaining post my lovely!

Anger said...

ha ha that's awesome. Did she decode your message? slash I'll let you shove a needle in my arm.

Tedi @ Running with Infertility said...

Where were your gloves? That's all that worried me. I've done the poking before, but we had gloves on.