
Our sweet little baby Hudson came to us last week on December 22 at 12:31 in the afternoon. It was a big surprise since he was not expected until the end of January and we had some very scary few days leading up to his birth. We had a prenatal appointment On Thursday the 16th to check everything before we went home to Idaho for Christmas and it was discovered that my blood pressure had risen 50 points. I was not very concerned about it since I had not been feeling any symptoms, but the midwife wanted me to do a 24 hour urine test just to check my kidney status and make sure everything was okay. She told us that Pre-eclampsia is diagnosed when there is 300 mg of protein in the urine so we would need to watch for our lab results and call back in. We waited anxiously for the results and were shocked when they came back at 959! I called the midwife on call to ask her if we could still go home for the holidays and she gave me a very emphatic 'No'. We were told that we would be on bed rest to keep Hudson in as long as possible and would need to go in for a non-stress test to check the baby's heart rate on Monday. Hudson passed that test within 5 minutes but when we were on our way out the door the nurse requested that I take another urine test. My protein was at 3,000. I still was not concerned but the neonatologist ordered that we go down to labor and delivery for more tests. Once we were there my blood pressure continued to rise and the urine tests were coming back abnormal. It became clear pretty quickly that they would not be letting us go home. We were shocked and scared. We had no bag, no supplies, no baby stuff... just our clothes and a purse.

My midwife "Angel"
They quickly started me on a drug called Magnesium Sulphate to keep me from seizing and stabilize my blood pressure. They gave me 2 doses of steroids to boost Hudson's lung development and the haze set in. "The mag" gave me double vision and made me VERY groggy. I had a hard time staying awake or maintaining normal conversation. Once I had been on that and the steroids for 24 hours they started me on Pitocin. My contractions began coming fast and strong. I was dilated to a 3 at 11:00 in the morning and called the nurse around 12:00 to let her know that I was feeling ALOT of pain. She checked me and declared me COMPLETE!
Yes, those really are my feet. They were HUGE!
Landon and I were very shocked and confused and I was feeling very scared. My midwife got word that we were to be taken to an operating room to deliver so that NICU could immediately begin monitoring the baby. I was afraid that I was going to have my baby in the hallway!
Hudson was born a short 20 minutes later and was taken away immediately. My parents and Landon's parents were allowed to see him but I was still recovering and was not able to see the baby for a few hours. When I was allowed to see him the Magnesium was making me very loopy and dizzy and I only saw him from a distance for a short while. Landon and I were able to hold the baby the next day and have been attached to his bedside ever since. ♥
We are currently still in the NICU working on breathing and eating issues, but hope to be home soon. This has been the most challenging and yet most spectacular event of my life. I had planned a VERY different birth experience for Hudson and I but I am so grateful for modern medicine and my healthy baby boy. I have felt emotions in the last week that I did not know I was capable of and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life loving this baby.

World's smallest Jazz fan
G & Gs (Neither set have been allowed to touch him yet :( )




18 comments:
Congratulations Landon and Che'! What a scary couple of days, but I'm glad that everything seems to be going well with baby Hudson. You will be in our prayers and hopefully you'll all be able to get home soon!
CONGRATS! That is quite the crazy entrance into parenthood, ours was no where near that eventful! We are so excited for you and glad to hear you are all recovering well!
Che he is adorable! I've been thinking about you lots and lots and sending prayers your way! I hope you get to go home soon! I can't wait to meet the cute little guy!
I'm so sorry that happened. Scary! But I'm happy everything is okay. I think I've mentioned before that I work in Labor and Delivery and we HATE to give our patients mag. Not the experience you want with your first babe, but it all turned out good. He's so adorable!
I am so happy for you! Such a miracle. I hope Hudson comes home soon and your recovery goes well also!
Wow Che and Landon how scary yet exciting! I know what u mean when u say you didn't expect him to come this way! Although Mason didn't come that early I didn't plan for him to come early or small either lol! Good luck we'll keep u guys in our prayer to go home soon :)
Oh, I love all of the pictures... FYI: The christmas picture is the wallpaper on my phone. It makes me smile everytime I see it. I can't wait to hold that sweet little baby. I am so happy for you guys! Love you all :)
yay! Glad for a blog update. I love all the pictures we haven't seen yet, too. I hope you know how much we love you and little Hudson already. I can't wait to hold him myself!
I just want to kiss him all over!(Landon says I can't kiss him at all, boo hoo!) Sure is fun to see him without all the tubes etc. I think he's his daddy's boy. Can't wait to snuggle him in my arms. 13 more days, and grandpa and grandma fullmer will see you, Hudson!
Congratulations, I am so glad that you are both okay (and a little jealous that you are not pregnant anymore and I still am) He is adorable.
You can kiss him mom, just not on the face or hands.
Oh my goodness! I'm so thankful that you both are safe and well, and that Hudson will be okay! Congrats though! So glad he's here and safe now! :) We send our love and prayers! :)
Congrats! I can't believe he came out all Christmas-y and holding a Candy Cane! ha ha. In all seriousness, he's dorbs. I'm so happy it all worked out and that you get the tax break for 2010.
Wow! What an experience!!! I'm glad everyone is ok. He is ADORABLE! LOVE the pic with Santa. I hope you can go home soon!
He is so stinking handsome! and those pics bring tears to my eyes! the one with landon looking to him is PRICELESS! Congrats and BEST of luck!
Congrats mama!! I'd love to bring you dinner or treats or just come visit. Just fb me with your number. Much love!
Oh man I just love it! You guys are such cute parents. I can't wait to come see you and meet little Hudson. Awww....!!!
Love the update. What a sweetheart this baby is. :)
Post a Comment