
Intermountain Medical Center.... IMC. Lately it seems like this is my home away from home. I am here on Mondays, Tuesday, and Wednesdays for clinicals and then I venture on up to the rehab floor whenever I have time to sit with my Grandma. For those who don't know, my Grandma had a hemorrhagic stroke 3 weeks ago when she came down to Utah for the Jazz game and has been recovering here ever since.
I have been thinking alot lately about this career that I have chosen, and watching someone that I love struggle back to health has given me an entire new perspective on medicine. All of a sudden an IV bag is not just something I need to hurry and change, but something that is helping to pull the fluid off of my Grandmother's brain, a feeding tube went from something that slowed me down while giving morning meds to the only thing that is providing nutrition to the woman who has fed me countless times throughout my childhood. I am suddenly grateful for this hospital: for the smells, for the medicine, and for all the people who save lives everyday. It really is different to see this process from the eyes of the patient's family. I hope that I can carry this feeling and this lesson with me throughout my career in healthcare and remember that every patient is not just another case, not just someone I need to chart on... but a real person with feelings and worries and loved ones. My Grandma is a fighter and I know she is going to pull through this, and if I had to come to this hospital every day for the rest of my life: I would be happy to call it my new home.





9 comments:
Che' you are wonderful. I am so happy that you are so close to be there with your grandma. I hope and pray that things continue to look up for her. I want to know more about your clinical experiences too... you should post about them!
Oh Che I didn't know about your grandma, I'm so sorry! I hope that she can continue to get better. We will keep her and your family in our prayers. It is good that you can be there with her and I'm sure that is comforting to her as well.
Of all the people that are meant to be in the nursing field, you are the one. I have no doubt that you will be great at it.
Che, It is nice that you can be there for grandma. I am sure she is grateful to you and so is your grandpa. I looked at your schedule and I felt tired. You will be an awesome nurse.
Hey i just want you to know that Bruce and Patti have been raving about how awesome you have been to Linda. They said Landon was at the hospital when they went down and that He was super good with her also. She is lucky to have you guys right there to take care of her.
Hey i just want you to know that Bruce and Patti have been raving about how awesome you have been to Linda. They said Landon was at the hospital when they went down and that He was super good with her also. She is lucky to have you guys right there to take care of her.
You are an awesome writer Che. I love reading your posts and this one was no different. Love ya lots and I hope your grandma continues to do better!
Che, That is so neat that you are there to help take care of your Grandma. I hope she is improving. We check with someone about everyday to see how she is. You are such a sweetheart and I love your thoughts that you have shared. Keep up the good work.
Che, That is so neat that you are there to help take care of your Grandma. I hope she is improving. We check with someone about everyday to see how she is. You are such a sweetheart and I love your thoughts that you have shared. Keep up the good work.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma! I hope that everything turns out ok for you and your family. I know what you mean about a different perspective and am happy that you have that. Doesn't it make you proud to do what you do.
Post a Comment