Friday, November 14, 2008

Typing as You Talk... not paying attention to you....

So we have this little structure here made up of these parts. One part is called the maculadensa. If you look you can see the cells are large, if they are budding the glumerulus they become very large. Then they come to the distal convoluted tubule. The book is wrong. The point is, that is why they are called the maculadensa. Ok? Kidneys are going to try to compensate, ok, by doing things by the bicarb, then if we get metabolic problems lungs are going to try to compensate from the O2 side. So the places you would get a metabolic, as opposed to a respiratory acidosis... we have too many so they get shoved off to a place where they make keto acids. Our pH is going down, not from a CO2 source, our kidneys are one of the few places where we can make bicarbonate. Kidneys are going to try to compensate by increasing their bicarbonate excretion, but again they might not do that adequately enough, which is why we have all these sorts of problems. That's why you need to know pH or your patients are going to die! Don't blow off pH like it's no big deal, because it's not! If you go on and take pathophys you will see that people can have one or two or three of these at the same time... you HAVE to know how to deal with the pH so they don't die! pH is really critical. I have had students who don't know if your Hydrogen ions are increasing if they are acidodical. I'm sorry, but I'm tired of people not knowing pH! 

Oh how I miss the days that my teachers spoke english.... (oh ya, and didn't make me feel like I'm probably going to kill someone)


6 comments:

Sheena said...

hey che. glad to find your blog thanks to kim!! we all need to get together sometime!!!! my blog is www.chrisandsheena.blogspot.com

Andi and Cade said...

What a beautiful yet freaky picture into your life! I have to admit it took me about five minutes to get through that mumbo jumbo up there... wow... best of luck.

Jen said...

Blah blah blah...that's what I remember from a lot of my classes! Don't you feel like your head is going to explode sometimes from information overload??? I totally feel for you. I know how it is....
Keep up the good work and good luck with all of your classes!

Carlie said...

That's my sweater! I sure do hope you're enjoying. Ha I hate when you take my clothes and they look better on you. P.S. that was jibberish. Love ya!

Mendy said...

And that is why I don't go to school any more!!!! You are awesome for getting your degree and sticking with all the hard things that go toward it. Did that make sense But any way only a month till christmas VACATION!!!!!

Lane, Amanda, and Mason said...

Keep up that hard work!! I can't imagine going back to school.....BLA!!